About Me

I'm an absolute die hard Phillies fan who attends Temple University (freshman). If you see me walking around campus, I advise you to look for my neck beard, its vicious. Basically i started this blog to get my ideas about sports out in the public and to maybe give people a little information that i have that maybe you wouldnt know. Whether you agree with me or, not thats fine. All I ask is that you read with an open mind and that you give me feedback. We journalists thrive on feedback from our readers.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I!

Ok, there's a reason that I haven't posted about the world series. I wanted to wait until they won or lost to put anything up about it. Let me start off by saying SHUT THE HELL UP TIM MCCARVER! McCarver you're the biggest idiot on television and i don't know why they let your biased ass on the air. To be quite honest, I don't know how a former Phillie could want the opposing team to win so bad.

Cole Hamels, you've been the man throughout this entire post season. You deserve the MVP of this World Series. Even with as little run support as you got, you just went out there start after start and blanked the other teams.

Pat Burrell, you had a tough world series. But when your team needed you the most, you came up with that huge double that, on mostly any other night, would have been a homerun. I sincerely hope that you and the Phillies come to terms with a new contract in this off-season.

Brad Lidge, you've been lights out all season long. 41 consecutive saves in the regular season, and seven consecutive saves in the post season. Without Lidge, none of this is possible. He was the addition that really put all of this together.

And finally, Carlos Ruiz. I couldn't stand him during the regular season. It was so frustrating to see him hit only just above .200 knowing that Coste was on the bench and that he was the superior hitter. But I have to give credit to Charlie Manuel for sticking with him through it all. It really paid off this post-season where Ruiz got red hot in the World Series. He also showed off his world class catching abilities. If anyone besides Cole Hamels deserved the MVP of the World Series, it would no doubt have been Ruiz.

What makes this feel so good is knowing that the Phillies won it the right way. They drafted good players, brought them up through the farm system and had them produce on the field. Chase Utley, Ryan Madson, Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell, Brett Myers, Cole Hamels and Jimmy Rollins. These players are bonafide super stars in their own right, and the Phillies drafted them and brought them up through the system. Pat Gillick, and even Ed Wade, acquired some of the main pieces from other teams that made this possible as well. All in all, this win wasn't just a team win, it was a win for the entire organization. Management, coaching, scouting, all the way down to the bat-boys and ball-girls.

This victory was something that this city has needed for the longest time. Through all the heartache and pain that goes along with being a Phillies fan, this World Series title means everything to a city who only wants to win. Sure we can be a little rough at times, but that's only because we care so much about our teams and want them to win so badly.

I wasn't even alive back in 1980 when the Phillies won their last World Series, or even in 1983 when the Sixers won the last championship that this city has had. But tonight made my entire 19 years of watching Philadelphia sports worth living through. All the bad teams, the losing seasons, the championship losses, it all ended tonight, and the city reacted accordingly.

As I made my journey down Broad Street, the streets were electric. I ran, I walked, I sprinted, but most of all, I was there. That's the most important thing; I was there. Philly won a championship and I was there to experience the city's reaction first-hand. At this moment, I feel as if my life is complete. There is a void that has been left deep inside of me that is now filled. It was so beautiful. You didn't even have to be a baseball fan, you were a part of it. The city came together in those moments. There was no violence; no hatred. It didn't matter about the color of your skin, or where you came from. All we knew is that the Philadelphia Phillies were the World Champions, and no one could take that away from us. The title was ours and everyone in the city had a part to play in it.

Everything that I'm saying may not make sense, or it may come off as cheesy. But the emotions running through my head are nothing like anything I have ever felt before. Call me crazy, call me whatever you want, but this is so much more than a championship. This is a legacy. This is erasing 25 years of futility. This is absolute euphoria. Who needs drugs when you have a feeling like this? This is the most incredible high that anyone could ever experience.

No comments: